Our favorite car camping spots in Georgia

If you've got a review of a knife, radio, camping spot, television show, or anything else... Post it here!
kcdeming
CMO Owner

Our favorite car camping spots in Georgia

Postby kcdeming » Wed May 13, 2015 4:37 pm

This list will continue to grow so stay tuned!

What is car camping?
Some have asked, what exactly do you mean when you say "Car Camping?" My definition of Car Camping is when you want the comforts of having your vehicle near by (within 100 yards or so) but still like to pitch a tent or hang a hammock. Usually car camping locations will offer other permeant utilities such as picnic tables, restrooms, clean water source, and a fire pit.

North West

Jack's River Fields
Located in the Cohutta Wilderness (Between Chatsworth, GA and Blueridge, GA), Jack's River Fields is perfect for those who want to escape the crowded campgrounds but still have the main features they offer such as designated camp sites as well as clean restrooms. This quaint, secluded campground is situated on the bank of the south fork of the Jacks River. Surrounded by the yellow poplar, oak, hickory, and white pine forests of north Georgia, these 7 campsites are popular with campers, hikers and equestrians.

Cost Per Night: $5/site/night
Restrooms: Yes
Water: Creek
Longitude: -84.520124

http://tinyurl.com/mf5wocw

Cloudland Canyon
Located on the western edge of Lookout Mountain, this is one of the most scenic parks in the state, offering rugged geology and exceptional hiking. Our favorite site to camp at is site numbers 12-16. These sites are a short hike from the car maybe 100 yards or less. Plenty of other activities to do in the park during the day including incredible day hikes to a large waterfall.

Cost Per Night: Variety $20-$25
Water: Creek
Longitude: -85.4828810

http://www.gastateparks.org/CloudlandCanyon

North East

Andrew's Cove
Andrews Cove Recreation Area in White County offers a cool mountain stream and a peaceful atmosphere, and is only 15 minutes from the popular alpine village of Helen, Georgia. This campsite is great for the camper who likes to be close to a town full of activities. Located right off Highway 75, Andrew's Cove is a great place to lay your head for the night.

Cost Per Night: $12/site/night
Water: Creek/Well
Longitude : -83.737510

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/conf/recreation/ohv/recarea/?recid=10487&actid=29
I am the owner of Coyote Mountain Outdoors. I enjoy guns, knives, and anything outdoors!
cssims
Bushcrafter

Re: Our favorite car camping spots in Georgia

Postby cssims » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:57 am

Casey, for Cloudland Canyon I take it those are the walk-in sites? I've been considering going for my next week of vacation and try to do more of a minimalist (for me) camping setup. The map system and their description of the area is useless as are the lack of pictures for the walk-in sites.

I'm trying to figure out how far the walk-in sites actually are seeing as their map says .5 mile and I'm guessing that is for the furthest sites.

Also are their water spigots at each site or is it spread out. I think Unicoi's walk-in sites had them spread out. It's been 3 years since I went so I can't rightly recall.
kcdeming
CMO Owner

Postby kcdeming » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:42 am

cssims wrote:Casey, for Cloudland Canyon I take it those are the walk-in sites? I've been considering going for my next week of vacation and try to do more of a minimalist (for me) camping setup. The map system and their description of the area is useless as are the lack of pictures for the walk-in sites.

I'm trying to figure out how far the walk-in sites actually are seeing as their map says .5 mile and I'm guessing that is for the furthest sites.

Also are their water spigots at each site or is it spread out. I think Unicoi's walk-in sites had them spread out. It's been 3 years since I went so I can't rightly recall.

I would say the farthest walking site is less than .5 miles so no too far but you can do the back country sites if you want a bit more of a challenge. From what I can remember the clean water sources are located near the bath house close to the parking lot. I plan on doing a more detailed write up of our favorite camp sites with pictures included. Hope you enjoyed your trip if you were able to make it out there!
I am the owner of Coyote Mountain Outdoors. I enjoy guns, knives, and anything outdoors!
Diddy
Bushcrafter

Postby Diddy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:04 pm

I hope I'm allowed to post a couple favorite spots. Although I don't get to camp much anymore, I still like it when I can.
1) Dicks Creek - some campsites are kind of close, it's still one of my favorite places with easy access. Free

2) Stonewall Creek Falls - Just south of Clayton on Old 441. It's way back there, I think only 6 campsites. I think you can disperse camp there also. Last time I went 4WD was almost a must to drive to campsites. Free

3) Three Forks - on the AT close to Dahlonega, pull on side of dirt road and walk in. Right on the AT and I think Benton Mackay Trail is right there also. Free

While I like car camping for the convenience, I don't like going to campgrounds like Old Federal, Bolding Mills, ect..., where you are piled on top of the other.
kcdeming
CMO Owner

Postby kcdeming » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:54 am

Diddy wrote:I hope I'm allowed to post a couple favorite spots. Although I don't get to camp much anymore, I still like it when I can.
1) Dicks Creek - some campsites are kind of close, it's still one of my favorite places with easy access. Free

2) Stonewall Creek Falls - Just south of Clayton on Old 441. It's way back there, I think only 6 campsites. I think you can disperse camp there also. Last time I went 4WD was almost a must to drive to campsites. Free

3) Three Forks - on the AT close to Dahlonega, pull on side of dirt road and walk in. Right on the AT and I think Benton Mackay Trail is right there also. Free

While I like car camping for the convenience, I don't like going to campgrounds like Old Federal, Bolding Mills, ect..., where you are piled on top of the other.

Awesome suggestions! I have been to the first two spots several times although I have never camped at Stonewall just day tripped it with the Jeep. I will need to check out Three Forks. I really need to do a better job updating this list since there are SO many that aren't on there. Thanks!!

Return to “Reviews”