Setting up an NFA Trust?

Post here to discuss firearms from Blackpowder to 50 BMG! Also a good place for discussing anything related to tactical gear, training, and prepping.
kcdeming
CMO Owner

Setting up an NFA Trust?

Postby kcdeming » Tue May 12, 2015 9:38 pm

For most of my life I have wanted to own a suppressor or fully automatic firearms. Unfortunately, full auto is pretty much unobtainable ($$$) but SBR's and Suppressors are! From what I have figured out there are mainly two ways of purchasing and legally owning these "Class 3" items and it is with either purchasing a single tax stamp of $200 and a detailed background check or with an NFA trust.

That brings me to my question...who out there has had any experience with setting up an NFA Trust and what are the benefits of doing so?
I am the owner of Coyote Mountain Outdoors. I enjoy guns, knives, and anything outdoors!
ScoutActual
Site Admin

Re: Setting up an NFA Trust?

Postby ScoutActual » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:16 pm

I haven't made a trust yet but I plan on doing so as soon as I get married and my fiancee officially changes her name.

As far as I know the benefits are:
- Firearms belong to the trust, not specifically you so that in the event of your death or the state finding you unfit to own firearms you will simply cease to be the owner of the trust instead of the state taking your guns.
- It is illegal for anyone to use an NFA weapon (fully auto, SBR, supressor) that you own without you being present. If that individual is a member of your trust they can use that firearm without you being around
- If you own an SBR you need your name and city/state engraved on it... if the case of a trust you can have your trust's name engraved on it instead
- I believe that you don't need to get local LEO approval for an SBR if that SBR technically belongs to a gun trust

Return to “Firearms & Tactical”